Tuesday, October 13, 2009

First Day of Exploring on my Own!

Last night was my first night in my UK home and let me just say that I'm not used to the house noises. I probably sat up in bed 12 times thinking someone was coming up the stairs ... it didn't help that I watched a documentary about Jack the Ripper right before I went to bed. Yeah, I just couldn't make myself stop watching it. Hopefully tonight will be a bit better.

I have to pause here and tell you about the amazing sunset I'm seeing just outside my kitchen window. Pink, purple, yellow, and some patches of blue are filling the sky right now. Awesome!

Anyway, I decided to venture outside today and take a look around my new neighborhood. I'm not driving yet (I have driving lessons set up for Wednesday and Thursday), so I had to to explore on foot. I live in Waterlooville which is a very small town south of London. The city center is more like a strip mall so there's not much to it. I did, however, manage to spend a fair amount of money.

The weather today was beautiful and I really enjoyed my wander around town. I found a grocery store that sold baked-chicken flavored potato chips (crisps as they're called over here). I tried them and they are frickin awesome!!!

After my driving lesson tomorrow, I may venture onto a city bus into Portsmouth which is the nearest big town. To be honest, the only place I really want to go is Asda's which is the UK's version of Wal-Mart! It's not nearly as big as what we have in the states, but it will do. I want to do some decorating while Neal's away and I know I can find what I want at Asda's. If my lessons go well, I may venture there on Thursday. Neal bought a GPS for me, so I'll hopefully get to put it to use.

I'm headed to London over the weekend and my plan is the do some shopping (of course), have some fish 'n chips, and see a show in the West End. I'm thinking about seeing "Billy Elliot."

I'll let you know how my lesson goes tomorrow!

Cheerio!

Glo.

No comments:

Post a Comment